Wednesday Dec. 19, 2012
In the wake of the Newtown, Conn., shootings, many are clamoring for more rigorous gun laws, among other things.
Whether that pans out, remains to be seen. Looking at the ratings of the federal and state elected officials representing Elkhart County on gun issues, though, suggests moves to tighten gun rules could face an uphill battle, at least among the local delegation. Most serving Elkhart County have favorable ratings with the National Rifle Association, among other gun groups.
Here’s a look, pulling from data compiled by Project Vote Smart, a non-profit, non-partisan group that analyzes the record of elected and would-be officials across a range of indicators, including NRA rating.
- U.S. Sen. Dan Coats, R-Indiana:
- U.S. Rep. and Sen.-elect Joe Donnelly, D-Granger. He currently serves Indiana’s 2nd District in the U.S. House and takes over as one of two U.S. senators for Indiana next year:
- U.S. Rep. Marlin Stutzman, R-Howe. He represents Indiana’s 3rd District, which includes part of Elkhart County, at least until the end of 2012:
- U.S. Rep.-elect Jackie Walorski, R-Elkhart. She served as an Indiana state rep from 2005 to 2010 and takes over from Donnelly as representative to Indiana’s 2nd District, which covers all of Elkhart County starting next year, on Jan. 3:
- Gov.-elect Mike Pence, R-Columbus. He’s finishing up as U.S. representative for Indiana’s 6th District and takes over next January as Indiana governor:
- Indiana Sen. Carlin Yoder, R-Middlebury. He represents District 12, which covers most of Elkhart County, including the central and eastern parts of the the county, southern Elkhart and Goshen:
- Indiana Sen. Joe Zakas, R-Granger. He represents District 11, which covers northwestern Elkhart County, including northern Elkhart:
- Indiana Sen. Ryan Mishler, R-Breman. He represents District 9, which seeps into parts of southwestern Elkhart County:
- Indiana Rep. Tim Neese, R-Elkhart. He represents District 48, which covers northwest Elkhart County, including northern Elkhart:
- Indiana Rep. Tim Wesco, R-Osceola. He represents District 21, which covers west-central Elkhart County, including southern Elkhart:
- Indiana Rep. Wes Culver, R-Goshen. He represents District 49, which covers Goshen and much of eastern Elkhart County:
- Indiana Rep. Rebecca Kubacki, R-Syracuse. She represents District 22, which covers three townships in southern Elkhart County:
- Indiana Rep.elect David Ober, R-Albion. When the next session starts, he’ll represent District 82, which includes Benton Township in extreme southeastern Elkhart County:
Tim Vandenack is a reporter at the Elkhart Truth newspaper in Elkhart, Ind., www.etruth.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-296-5884. Follow him on Facebook or on Twitter at @timvandenack.
Share and Enjoy